Tuesday, January 23, 2007

What Matters Most

Doug Fields wrote What Matters Most to encourage youth ministers to find balance in life and ministry. Saying no to the things that do not matter is far better than saying yes to the things that are secondary. I bought this book mainly because I relate with Field’s approach to the job. But in all honesty, it wasn’t really a book that I needed to read. My training at college prepared me well to keep a balanced life. Then I heard Andy Stanly teach at a Y.S. conference that every minister has to choose who they cheat; their church or their family. I’ve learned to be intestinal about personal time, to keep family first, and that the church can survive without me. Thou this book was not the most approate for me, it will help teach the importance of balance to my church. There are a lot of people saying yes to the wrong things. Balance is difficult to find. I’m thankful for a job that allows me to find it.

No comments: