Thursday, November 17, 2005

2+2=5, A Weak Argument for Leadership

Gal 3:26 "You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise."

Can women preach? If I were forced to give an answer it would be yes. I am not comfortable with my position but there are too many women preachers to deny God the possible that He uses female to preach the Gospel.

I have often heard Galatians 3:28 used as a verse to support women in ministry; “Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” The argument sounds convincing. It even casts doubt to the traditional interpretation. However, upon review this teaching is out of it’s original context. Galatians 3:28 has more to do with belonging to Christ, being sons/daughters of God, and a part of the seed of Abraham. I fail to see the jump from belonging to the family of God to women are the same as men and can now preach, teach, and be leaders within the church.

My loyalties do not lie with any doctoral position. I am not bent on keeping women out of the pulpit. Likewise, I’m not trying to put them in either. My top priority is to be honest to the Scriptures. Despite my feeling that women can preach I’m not willing to take a verse out of its proper context so it can support my feeling.

No comments: