Monday, March 10, 2008

A Resignation, “Who Farted,” and Fish and Chips

As I wrote a few days ago, two major things have recently happened that will alter the direction of my life. I announced my engagement to Rae. Now it is time to share the second major event with the few of my online readers.

The time has come for me to resign from my position as the youth minister of the First Christian Church. There is so much “stuff” for me to mentally process. My future career path is uncertain. But my faith is on Solid Rock, as freshman Austin P. recently preached. I’ll be fine.

But now for the hard part. How to tell my students of this news? As I rehearse this talk in my mind, there is so much I want to say but know I can’t. So I pray that God will provide the right words at our next youth meeting. I want to provide hope for the future and a peace for today.

Growing up, one of my youth ministers resigning from his position. He told us on the floor of his living room during one of our youth meetings that he was leaving to become a Sr. Minister of another church. He started to cry. I thought he was chump. I really wasn’t affected by his move. There is a part of me that hopes my students will react the same way: “No big deal. Life goes on. Who farted?”

My last day on staff will be Sunday June 1. If there is a positive angle to this news it’s that I will remain in this community for a significant amount of time. There are a few things I am looking forward to after June 1.
• I am going to attend a worship service of the Apostolic Christian Church just because I want to.
• I get to preview other expressions of the Christian faith (I get to go to other churches outside of Christian Church/Church of Christ).
• I apologize if this offends you but I’m going up to the town bar and order me a basket of fish and chips (thought I’ve been told the place has taken a dive since I’ve arrived in Francesville and I might die from walking in). Maybe Rae and I should have a wedding reception there. Just kidding.

I wound appreciate your prayers these next few days. Pray extra hard on Wednesday night between 6:00 and 8:00 as I tell the students.

I doubt if I will ever directly write about this event on this blog ever again. If you have any questions, I can’t promise I will be completely honest but I will do my best to bring some understanding to this situation.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Chad-

Congratulations on your engagement! Woo-Hoo! I will be praying for you in this transition time, with leaving the ministry. Adam and I have been there before and it is hard...but always turns out just fine. In the meantime, enjoy your freedom to do as you choose!

Anonymous said...

chad

im sorry to hear that you are leaving my home church. i know that you have done some great things there. having just gone through this myself, i know it will be hard but it will be a good time of growth for you. i will keep you and FCC in my prayers.

Chad French said...

Thanks Matt and Sarah. You guys are a great encouragement.

Anonymous said...

I will buy your dinner. Mike Tiede

Chad French said...

lol...Thanks Big Mike

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

golden state warriors jerseys
nike trainers
ugg boots
longchamp le pliage
coach handbags
cheap oakley sunglasses
coach factory outlet
uggs outlet
louis vuitton purses
adidas trainers
2016.12.22chenlixiang